Enter a search term such as “mobile analytics” or browse our content using the filters above.
That’s not only a poor Scrabble score but we also couldn’t find any results matching
Check your spelling or try broadening your search.
Sorry about this, there is a problem with our search at the moment.
Please try again later.
There is a newer version of this report available: Online Advertising Survey 2013
About this report
The Online Advertising Survey, produced in association with internet advertising infrastructure company the Rubicon Project, is made up of two reports based on a survey of both online publishers and advertisers.
The Online Publishers Survey Report, based on a survey of more than 150 digital publishers, covers revenue models, use of targeting and optimisation, and monetisation of international traffic.
The Online Advertisers Survey Report is a useful overview of the online display advertising environment from the perspective of direct advertisers and agencies. It contains information about spending trends, the use of ad networks, types of targeting and the relative effectiveness of different ad formats.
The research is based on a survey of more than 600 digital marketers, including publishers, agencies, direct advertisers and networks. The survey was carried out in August and September 2009.
The research has been backed by the AOP, the EIAA and the IAB UK.
The Online Advertisers Survey Report is divided into the following sections:
- Online advertising: buying and spending
- Use of online advertising networks and exchanges
- Effectiveness of online display advertising
The report highlights include:
- 57% of advertisers say that spending on online display advertising has gone up in the last year.
- On average, advertisers say that just over a fifth (22%) of online display advertising is purely about branding.
- There is a trend towards increased use of online advertising networks.
- Almost half of advertisers (46%) say they are working with more networks than a year ago
- Advertisers regard the audience (55%) as the most important criterion for judging an online ad network
The Online Publishers Survey Report is divided into the following sections:
- Online revenue and charging
- Targeting, optimisation and ad effectiveness
- Online advertising networks
The report highlights include:
- More than half of online publishers say their revenue from online display advertising has gone up in the last year.
- More than a third of publishers (39%) house in-house technology compared to 27% who use third-party technology.
- MPUs (multi-purpose units) are regarded as the most effective type of advertising format.
- On average, a third of display advertising revenue comes through online ad networks.
- Poor quality of ads is the biggest challenge facing publishers working with networks.
- Three quarters of publishers (74%) say they are failing to monetise international traffic effectively.
Free samples are available for those who want more detail about what is in the reports before downloading them in full.
- Online Advertisers Survey Report (689 KB PDF)
- Online Publishers Survey Report (926 KB PDF)