Enter a search term such as “mobile analytics” or browse our content using the filters above.
That’s not only a poor Scrabble score but we also couldn’t find any results matching
Check your spelling or try broadening your search.
Sorry about this, there is a problem with our search at the moment.
Please try again later.
There is a newer version of this report available: Christmas 2013 Online Shopping Survey Report
The Christmas 2012 Online Shopping Survey Report, free to registered Econsultancy users, is based on a survey of 1,000 consumers in the UK and another 1,000 in the US, carried out using Toluna QuickSurveys, in January 2013.
Online retail has grown rapidly over the last decade, and the research gives insight into the behaviour of consumers over Christmas, one of the busiest periods for ecommerce. The findings not only confirm the growth of online retail, but also show how consumers’ research and purchase patterns are changing thanks to the influence of mobile, as well as services offered by retailers such as Click and Collect.
Since we have also polled US consumers, we can compare online shopping habits on both sides of the Atlantic. There are a few differences. For example, UK consumers are more likely to have relied on the internet for the majority of their Christmas shopping.
The following sections, based on the survey findings, are featured in the report:
- Proportion of Christmas shopping that was done online in 2012, compared to Christmas 2011
- Using a mobile or tablet for Christmas shopping
- Fulfilment of online retailers' delivery promises
- Attitudes toward retailers failing to deliver on time
- Reserving items online for in-store collection
- Using a mobile while shopping in store to check reviews and prices
- Avoiding to make an online purchase due to a lack of convenient delivery options
- Paying extra to have an item delivered on the same day, or during a specific one-hour window
- Using gift wrapping services offered by some online retailers
- How much research into what gifts to purchase, prices etc. took place online
- Christmas 2012 Online Shopping Survey Report (578 KB PDF)